Monday, December 18, 2006

Baby Carriers



One of the things that got me through the first year with Siobhan was a baby carrier. She refused to be put down or be held by anyone but me. It was almost impossible to get anything done. Then I discovered the baby carrier world. I had an old Snuggli of my Mom's circa 1978 (used with me) and a Baby Bjorn, loaned to me by my SIL. They were both heavy and hard on my back. So I looked online. Behold the one hundred thousand options.

I used several.
Wrap
The mexican style wrap.

The first one I tried was polyester and rough on my poor baby's skin. But I liked how easy it was to use.

Hug-a-bub
A stretchy wrap, which got rave reviews, but was not for me.. S I traded it for an Ellaroo

Elleroo.
I kept this. It is beautiful and comfortable, but not in my regular rotation.

Pouch
Then I got on e-bay and bought a homemade pouch style carrier. I loved the convenience so much that I tried several different kinds. New Native, Happy Slings, Hotslings are all great brands, but I use my e-bay pouch and the Happy Slings ones almost exclusively. I also have a spectacular Comfy Joey silk dress pouch. I like the pouch for easy of use and lack of bulkiness. I use them for blankets, changing pads, burping clothes, sun shields and of course as a carrier. It fits neatly in my diaper bag, but is not comfortable for long periods of use with a heavy baby.

Mei Tai
I made a Mei Tai style carrier. I used that one a lot for hiking in the woods and working in the corrals. I loved the convenience and superior comfort. I then bought a Kozy carrier (in my opinion the best carrier for long hauls out there.


Backpack
I have to framed backpack carriers. Both have pluses and minuses. I have a Tough Traveler. It is less bulky, but less comfortable. It is the one I use on the ranch. If I have to be working in the corral or jumping in and out of the truck, this one is great. I also have a Deuter II. This one is for the long haul. When we go hiking, or on vacation, to the zoo; this is the carrier we use. It has big pockets for diapers and stuff. But it is bulky. I do not want to haul it with me in the truck.

I realize that this seems like a lot of carriers. I have sold or traded the ones I do not use and I do not have a big stroller. I have two $15 umbrella strollers, which are rarely used. Siobhan hated them, and Seamus has not been anywhere suitable for strollers yet. We will try in out, but we have so few opportunities that are suitable for strollers I doubt he will like them either.

No comments: